Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

How do you remove the shifter from the panes on a 2001 Craft

Customer Question

How do you remove the shifter from the panes on a 2001 Chris Craft 262 Sport Deck with a Volvo outdrive?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: I am reupholstering the boat and need to remove the throttle and shifter to remove the side panel. I don't see a way to remove the handle.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: I have removed other shifters without a problem. I don't want to force anything and break a part.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

I would need to see which shifter you have. Can you take a picture of it for me.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My name is***** don't have the boat here. It is on a 2001 Chris Craft 262 Sport deck with a Volvo Out drive. I have the hull number if it helps. ccbjv224k001
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Hi Rich,

I'm sorry but I don't memorize boat hulls, and Chris Craft does not make service manuals that I can reference. The only way for me to be able to tell you how it comes apart is to see it. There are no time limits here, do you just want to get back with me with a picture later?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Will do Thanks.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

You bet.

Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Hi Rich, any luck with the picture?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I figured it out. I had removed the set screw in the bottom of the handle but it would only slide up the spline about 1/4 inch and stop. I ended up just putting some pressure from the back with a large screwdriver and it worked off.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Glad to hear you got it!