Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

I have a 1997 Craft Concept 176 Limited. My Throttle

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 1997 Chris Craft Concept 176 Limited. My Throttle assembly stopped working other than idle in forward and reverse. I am sure something came loose behind the panel on the backside. I need to know where I can get an exploded drawing of what this assembly looks like and recommended means of disassembly. Is this something you can help me with? There does not seem to be much info on these boats out on the net.
Thank you
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 25 days ago.

Hi Steve, my name is Jason.

The remote controls assemblies are not considered a "serviceable" item. If there is something broken inside of them, they get replaced. The reason being is up until about the late 80's, we used to work on them. The problem is so did everybody else, and often times they would not get put back together correctly. This would result in boats going at high speed, and when the operator decides to throttle back he can't, and they end up panicking and crashing. Because of that, the lawyers got the manufactures of remote controls to stop publishing repair information on them. That being said, if you can get me a picture of the remote control that you have I can definitely recommend a replacement for it. Can you take a picture of your shifter? Also, did you disconnect the throttle and shift cables yet to make sure it's not a cable or linkage issue?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
HI Jason
Yes, I can take a photo but will have to be later this week. The lawyer thing makes sense! I traced everything back to the motor and all motor connections seem to be tight and working. it seems to be that something got loose and came off, or like you said it may have broken. It was a gradual loss of use though. So I would need to replace the whole assembly huh? Approximate cost?
Thanks Jason
Expert:  Jason replied 25 days ago.

There are no time limits here so if you want to get me a picture later in the week that is no problem. Once I see what you have I can probably get you the installation instructions on the remote control. From there you can remove it, open it up, and see if anything jumps out at you. Even if something does jump out at you and if something is actually broken, you would not be able to order whatever parts those are separately. New remote controls average 300 bucks or so depending on exactly what you have, and if you want to replace it with a like unit or something cheap.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Ok Jason, Thank you. I will get a photo to you ASAP. Thanks for the input so far. It makes me feel better that I wont need to drop it off for an unknown length of time at a service place with a Giant Check!
Expert:  Jason replied 25 days ago.

You are very welcome Steve. Lets get the picture and we will take it from there. When you do it, try to take a few pictures from a few different angles. I need to see all of it in its entirety.

Expert:  Jason replied 23 days ago.

Hi Steve. Any luck with the picture?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hi Jason,
Sorry for my slacker delay in getting back to you. I took several photos of my shifter for you to look over. I assume I use the "Add Files" button here to send the pics? I will give it a try.
Expert:  Tan replied 17 days ago.

Hi Steve. My name is Tan.

There is no repair manual on these controls. So I would take pics as you disassemble the control.

Here is a parts breakdown of your control. To remove the control you will have to remove the handle. In the bottom of the handle is a allen screw that has to be loosened to get the handle off. If you can move the handle rotate it to reverse then loosen the allen screw. Before you pull handle off move handle back to the neutral position. Once in neutral remove handle.

Behind the handle you will have 3 mount screws remove these screws now you can pull remote control out for repairs.

Post back with questions.