Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma

I have a 1995 150 Ocean Runner outboard and the tilt/trim

Customer Question

I have a 1995 Johnson 150 Ocean Runner outboard and the tilt/trim was stuck when I tried to launch today. I figured fluid must be low, so I pulled it back out of the water to fill. The fluid was frothy when I opened the fill, so I let it settle for a while, and added fluid (Dex iii). I still couldn't get any movement, so I backed out the the manual release screw a few turns, and the motor still wouldn't move up or down.
With the screw backed out a couple of turns the trim pistons will move by hand, but the tilt piston will not move.
Am I missing something simple, or do I have a bigger problem?
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 29 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. So if you have backed a couple of turns the engine should start to come down by itself or with some pressure by hand. If it is not moving it looks like the valve has blocked and not allowing the piston to move up or down. Try light tapping while operating the pump with a mallet and see if it helps, if no then you would need to take the pump to a hydraulic specialist to have it checked.

If you require further assistance let me know,

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
When you say there must be a problem with the valve, what do you meant? When I backed the manual screw out far enough, it hissed air, then frothy hydraulic fluid.

It is the valve that lets the fluid go to the piston .