Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

I need to install a kill switch on a 50 hp EVINRUDE Model #

Customer Question

I need to install a kill switch on a 50 hp EVINRUDE Model # 50173S .
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: The engine will start and run, but will not turn off with the key switch. Can I just install a kill switch? And which wire would I install it to..
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Nope
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Use the black and the black/yellow wires on the back of the keyswitch. Connect black to one terminal and black/yellow to the other terminal. The way the kill switch works is it grounds the power pack killing spark.

You could just replace the key switch.

Post back if you need further assistance with this issue.

Does the engine shut off when you jump the black and black/yellow together? You could have another issue.