Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

Just poking around on the site. I have mercruiser 5.0 260

Customer Question

hi just poking around on the site. I have mercruiser 5.0 260 MPI she gets up to around 167 under 3000 rpm thought it was hot
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: ok
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: If I run boat at dock in neutral at 3000 rpm for 20 minutes it stays at 156
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 29 days ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

The engine has a 160*F thermostat. Normal operating temperature is 170+/-5*F. Temp gauges aren't real accurate. You are well with in the operating range.

Are you getting any over heat alarms?