Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 2014 250hp suzuki. @800 hrs on the engine. The

Customer Question

I have a 2014 250hp suzuki. @800 hrs on the engine. The problem is after it has run out to the fishing grounds, usually about an hour, I cant get full power out of the engine. It starts but only gets about @3000. I have changed all fuel fiters ( raycor cartridges, and filters on the high/ low/ and water). When the engine started doing this we found a white wire coming from the main harness at the engine that was corodid. The engine would not start and no lights showed when key turned. So we were able run a wire from a positive terminal to get started again. The problem of not having full power persisted.
I have since replaced the main wire harness from engine to key switch and the still have same problem of Powerloss. I am in Pelican AK and no mechanics around. Drove to Juneau to have suzuki dealer look it over. He did the computer check and said the wire harness was the problem. Well, $ 5,500 and problem is still there. The engine runs fine at low speed so maybe the computer did not see any problem.
Any ideas, the boat is on the trailor now and will not back in water till next march. I want to get this problem solved before the next fishing season. It is really difficult to drive into juneau or sitka during our charter season.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Hi Joe, my name is Jason.

The engine is either loosing fuel or spark. Step 1 is to duplicate the problem. Step 2 is to check spark output and fuel pressure when the engine is running poorly. Has this been done?