Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a HONDA 40 hp 4-stroke outboard on my boat which is

Customer Question

I have a HONDA 40 hp 4-stroke outboard on my boat which is on a brackish water mooring. i accidentally left it in the down position for 2 weeks and now it will not start/
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: i lifted it and it had a lot of grime (seaweed, etc) on it, so I cleaned it best i could but there are plastic vent looking things near the prop that look like they might be clogged. How can I clean them to see if this is the problem. ps i have to leave the boat on the water while i am doing this.
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: just that when i tried to start it, it sort of turned 1/2 over, and then not at all. the battery is good.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

What year is the outboard? Have you checked to see if the engine had spark output or not? Is the emergency stop switch clip in place?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't know how to check for spark output. I was the only one in the boat. Where would I see it? I'll have to go out on boat to see model year, and yes, emergency stop was in place. Note: engine is/was in very good condition. Low hours, and about 10 years old.Thanks
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

What is the history on this engine. When was the last time it did start?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
2 weeks ago. No problem. It starts every time.
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Did you ever get the year or model number?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am out of twin until tomorrow, but will do then, thank you!
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Okay no problem, just reply back once you have that info.