K. Kergan
K. Kergan, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  24 yrs exp. Inboard/Outboard mechanic Mercury/ Mercruiser, Volvo Penta and OMC, Johnson/Evin.
13730749

I have a 6.5 MCCK 1A-1D It will not turn over, even if I

Customer Question

I have a 6.5 MCCK 1A-1D It will not turn over, even if I jump across the solinoid. The engine was starting and running fine and the generator was putting out 120 volts last time I used it. That was about two months ago. I have gone through the brush section and found bad spade connectors on almost every brush some were ready to fall off. I've replaced all that were bad. The start solinoid does close when I place the switch in manual.
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
By the way this an Onan marine genset in case I didn't make that clear, the starter is integrated into the generator windings.
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is Kerry

Starter solenoids can fail after sitting for a while.

What happens is that they still click like they're working but battery voltage doesn't get sent to the starter.

Check that battery voltage is present on the starter side of the solenoid when you activate it.

If no power appears on the starter side, replacing the solenoid will fix the problem.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That is the first thing a shade tree machinists will rule out by shorting across the solinoid. Nothing happens, a spark but nothing turns.

The problem is in the starter itself.

Since I have no experience with this type of starter, I'll opt out.