Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Boat ran in dirty muddy water when trying to dock at low

Customer Question

boat ran in dirty muddy water when trying to dock at low tide, now when it gets to over 3000 rpms it bogs down. Its a 2003 mercury 200hp saltwater series outboard. Seems to be getting good water flow out of pee hole, dont believe its over heating. Could be a clogged carb jet I suppose but that would be a strange coincedence considering it was running fine till I ran it near muddy bottom in low tide. I did wash the prop down, flushed etc in case it was clogged somewhere. Still wont stay above 3000 rpms without bogging down, will run for a little bit over but for only ten seconds or so then drops down. Perhaps exaust is clogged? or something else
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: well not sure if I flushed it long enough or if a clog in the cooling system would make it bog down over 3000 rpms
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Does the alarm in the boat test beep when you turn the key on?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Great, does the alarm sound when the engine bogs down?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Charles, no it does not
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did have an issue with it overheating two weeks ago but it was a stuck thermostat. I cleaned it out and all was well .
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

First thing that you should do is a compression test and a spark test using a spark tester. These tools can be rented from about any chain auto parts store. Is this something that you feel that you could do?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
for what its worth I didnt flush the engine untill a day later wonder if some crud could have hardened up and is clogging something. but then again im not a mechanic. im pretty handy and fix alot of things on it myself but this one has me stumped because I would think a clog would make it overheat and engine doesnt seem to be running hot, runs fine for the most part if i keep in 3000rpms or under and no alarm is going off
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I could and have the tools to do it, lets say hypothetically compression and spark are good for the time being, what would you suggest I check next
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Fuel and the fuel delivery.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If compression where bad it wouldnt make it to high RPMS I would think, and it does, I can get it run higher and it runs fine at 4500 rpms ( i never take it higher) but will only run at 4500 rpms for a 10-20 seconds then bogs down to 3000
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I dont think its a fuel problem or delivery problem.I will check for that but thought perhaps it would make sense to check for something that could have been caused by running in mud first since the symptoms started first from that. could running in mud effect the fuel delivery system?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I had the same exact problem on another engine and turned out to be a stuck float on the carb. I dont however think this is a carb problem because of the timing unless its a strange coincendence
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
would a stuck poppet valve have any effect on RPMs? perhaps thats clogged and perhaps it is overheating and sensor is bad and its kicking into safe mode at high RPMS?Sorry for all the comments,Im no expertlike yourself but do have some basic mechanical knowledge and im just looking for a short cut to the problem rather than perhaps checking and fixing a bunch of things that could be unrelated if that makes sense
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

If any of the sensors were triggering this, the alarm would be sounding. If the cooling system was not functioning correctly, the alarm would be sounding. This could also be carbon inside the engine since you do not open it up all that often. Compression and looking at the spark plug tips will tell us that.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok,ill check compression tomorrow and plugs if those are fine im thinking ill pull the carbs dissemble and clean, replace water se[erator while im at it (probably that time anyways) fuel filter and take her for a run to see what happens. Does that sound like a good course of action to you?
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Yes it does. If the plugs are really black, I would also get a can of Mercury's PowerTune. Use it according to the can directions to get the carbon out of the engine.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok, will this thread stay open for awhile ,may take two days for me to do as im working and want to get back to you with results in case its still acting up
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Yes it will, there are no time limits here. Reply when you are ready.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thank you Charles , have a good night
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

You too.