Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I have a 2004 23' Four Winns Sundowner and I hooked up the

Customer Question

I have a 2004 23' Four Winns Sundowner and I hooked up the battery cables in reverse...real stupid. I heard a click then a "poof" in the engine compartment. I quickly opened the hatch and thankfully there was no flame, but a strong smell of electrical fry. Did I only fry the starter? The ignition was off, but I have no power in the boat now.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Could I get the make model and serial number of your engine please?