Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

How can I test my two lights the oil pressure and motor temp

Customer Question

How can I test my two lights the oil pressure and motor temp lights to see if the lights come on and it is working properly on a yamaha 80 2001?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Hi John, my name is Jason.

They should come on for roughly 2 seconds every time you start the engine, not much differently than how all of the idiot lights in your car turn on for a few seconds every time you start that. Are the lights not coming on when you start it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Have not tried it yet I am in the process of running a new engine wiring harness. Just wanted to know if I could run any power to the wires to check if the bulbs we good while I had it down.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

I think this is going to depend on the gauge you have. What gauge do you have specifically?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just a RPM gauge the guy I bought it from put on and on the bottom left is the oil light and bottom right is water temp. It has a small bulb in the back of the gauge for each.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is a yamaha gauge
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

I would need the exact part number on the gauge. Even then I would have to research this, what you are asking isn't a typical ordinary type question.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok I will get back with you later. thanks
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Okay, just post back once you have the info.