Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

The alarm on my 2 stroke Mercury 60 HP (1994) sounded off

Customer Question

The alarm on my 2 stroke Mercury 60 HP (1994) sounded off and the motor would start but ony run for a short 30 seconds time. I checked the gas and it was nearly full. The oil reservoir only took 2 ounces. What could the issue be?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: It is mounted on a 1994 Tracker Magna 17. The problem occurred yesterday on a lake at 7,000 ft above sea level.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

Does the alarm sound with just the key on?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No this alarm sounded while the motor had been running for about 3 hrs. Mostly at idle.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

Ok, when was the last time that the cooling system was serviced?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
probably 4 years ago or more.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

Most likely this was the overheat alarm. The cooling system on the engine should be serviced every three years. The impeller inside the water pump develops a set to it over time. When this happens, the pump can no longer provide enough cooling water to properly cool the engine. You are goign to need to replace the water pump impeller.