Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Significant amount of oil present in the hull, I have an oil

Customer Question

Significant amount of oil present in the hull, I have an oil leak somewhere in my 97 Seadoo GTX. I've seen small amounts of oil since I bought it, but now there is a lot more. What is the most common cause to look for?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: I bought this jet ski 4 years ago, prior to that it was winterized and sat in a shed for about 8-9 years. There was always a small amount of oil in the hull, but now I notice a lot more and the oil level in the tank is clearly draining fast
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

check the tank and the lines that are leading from the tank to the oil pump. The lines would need to be serviced every few years and if yours are original, one of then could have cracked and this is causing the leak and the loss of oil.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The lines seem to be ok. However after cleaning everything I could reach, I noticed the tank seems to be leaking at the seam/join line, so I guess that needs sealing or replacement. Can the tank be repaired or sealed?I also encountered a lot of oil under the motor, but I'm not sure if its runoff, or from another problem at the pump. For leaks from the pump, what are the most common things to check? It's impossible to see a problem, sounds like cleaning and feeling around is the way to go?