Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.

My warning horn sounded on my 150 Optimax, 4 beeps every 2

Customer Question

My warning horn sounded on my 150 Optimax , 4 beeps every 2 minutes , manual said low oil or water in fuel separator is at peak level . I checked the oil canister on engine , it was full so I changed the fuel filter and the alarm still sounds every 2 minutes , is there a reset procedure or do I still have problems .
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

Hi Chris, my name is Jason.

The problem is going to be either a bad WIF (water in fuel sensor) or a bad oil tank. Start by disconnecting the WIF sensor first and see if the alarm stops or not if it does, replace the WIF sensor. If it does not, replace the oil tank.

What happens with the oil tanks specifically is there is a float inside of them that the oil sensor reads. What happens over time (with all of them) is the float becomes waterlogged with oil, and it sinks to the bottom of the tank, making the engine think the tank is empty when it's really not. Does that make sense.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

I don't know how you want to leave this but that is where you stand on your end and what needs to be checked. I think that should do it but I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you