Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a direct drive inboard engine that runs fine under

Customer Question

I have a direct drive inboard engine that runs fine under normal conditions but when towing a skier or wakeboarder, the transmission/prop feels like it is "slipping" This started last year and was more of a random occurrence. Last year I took noticed my propeller had light damage to it, and I took it in and explained to the propeller repair shop what was happening and he said it wasn't transmission related which I thought it was. Rather, he said it was cavitation and the first step was to repair the propeller which I did.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: The slipping feeling continued to be random after the repaired propeller. This last trip out I pull a skier instead of a wakeboarder and it occurred every pull.. It was taking like 10-15 seconds for what felt like the transmission to switch gears and finally give the skier enough power to pull him up. After that thee boat would run like normal, it would reach the right speed 30+ mphs (speedo broken)
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

The transmission has a clutch pack that wears and will start slipping over time especially from hard pulls. The transmission has to be removed disassembled and the clutch pack replaced. There is no adjustments to remedy this issue.

I can get you part number for clutch pack if you can get me the transmission engine model number and make.

Post back with this info and questions.

Thank you....Tan