Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I have 1985 70 H.P. starts good and runs good in netural buy

Customer Question

I have 1985 Johnson 70 H.P. starts good and runs good in netural buy when but in gear it runs up to 1200 rpms and then nose's over and quits or will not run over 1100rpms? the motor is on a pontoon boat and should run 4600 rpm's sure would like to find the answer to this problem! TJ
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: I just bought this motor used and it's never run right? I've been through the carb's and found the float in the center carb installed upside down? new plugs, wires, and coils, I have also put an electric fuel pump with reg on all in vain! I seem to have hit a brick wall? tj
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Have you done a compression test?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That's the one thing I haven't done Tan
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Since it won't turn up and it won't restart after it quits I would do a compression test to rule out a piston and compression issue.

Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

The compression must be within 10% of the highest number.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK! Tan I'm happy to pay for the phone call so call me when you can! Tj I'm not a fast typer and the phone will be much easier and faster ! Thanks! TJ
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

I sent the phone call request TJ. It came back payment failure. So customer service will contact you.

I'll be all afternoon.