Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

Sheer pin off. Not sure what they hit. Replaced sheer small

Customer Question

Sheer pin off. Not sure what they hit. Replaced sheer small ding in prop. Took prop off first and checked gears on front of shaft. Did not start boat as in lift but slipped into gear. Prop still turns.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: What should it do
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

What are you working on?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
70 HP Johnson sheer pin off checked prop in side gears good. Replaced pin. With boat off prop still turns with some clicking is this normal
Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

Okay Johnson, what is the model number on the engine?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Oh heck don't know not near it now probably 15 years old or more 70hp
Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

Is the engine from the 2000's, 90, 80's 70's or older?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
80 or early 90
Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

A 1980 Johnson 70 (and anything newer) will not have a shear pin. Are you sure it's not older than 1980? A model number, or pictures of the outboard, would be helpful.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It has a shear pin could well be older Inam 4th or 5th owner
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
White in colour
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can take picture in 20 minutes or so
Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

Okay I will wait for pictures. The more you take the better. Try and get the engine cover, engine block, and the shear pin that you are talking about.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

Good morning. Any luck with those pictures?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Raining and boat covered, but it is a 1991 Johnson 70HP engine I simply replaced the Pin at the nut on outside of prop that was missing. Prop turns with some noise when in gear and motor not running.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

Okay there is no shear pin on a 91 70hp, the pin you are talking about holds the nut on place, not the prop in place. What kind of problem are you ultimately having here?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

Please re-read our entire conversation thus for. As of yet you haven't asked me any kinds of questions, nor explained what kind of problem you are having.