Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.

Volvo penta hydraulic trim leak

Customer Question

Volvo penta hydraulic trim leak
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK so the question is, assuming this is not normal, when I pulled the Hydr lines Out I saw no seal/ there a seal that can be replaced? did I blow it out? I don't want to bring it to the dealer without knowing...they will tell me the whole pump needs to be replaced.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It appears part of the background of my question is missing...I have a Volvo Penta Hydraulic trim. I noticed that I had a leak when the trim is all the way up...if the trim switch remains engaged for more than a second or 2 at full up I get hydraulic oil squirting out of the lower RH corner of the cover plate...I am assuming the right hand side hydraulic line is not seated/sealing properly. I removed the cover removed all the lines, did not see any seals/orings, reinstalled them, reseated the cover, refilled the reservoir. still upon full up I get slight leakage if I stop immediately and a good squirt beyond a second or so. I cannot test full down because my skeg will hit my driveway. is there an oring seal inside? why is the line not seating? I assume this is not normal? could the internal high pressure bypass be stuck, etc.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

What is the model number on the sterndrive itself?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Mike is the stern drive info: SX-A 1.51(###) ###-####
upon additional inspection the leak appears to be coming from a white plug in the lower rh corner of the pump assembly
Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

Hi Mike,

Have you pulled the retainer plate off yet to get a better look?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did remove the cover plate and removed each of the Hdr. lines. didn't note any specific issues, cracks etc and reassembled it, refilled it and re-ran it. Although I didn't force the leakage long, it was definitely coming from the lower RH corner when I topped it out all the way up. I initially though that it was from the rh most Hydr line, but saw elsewhere on the web references to that plastic plug and an eng change to the cover may be leaking slightly or none (hard to tell) under normal up and down...haven't had a change to really check that. I can't bottom it out because my skeg will hit my driveway.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Hi Mike. My name is Tan.

Now I can't tell by your pic if that is a plug leaking or the housing. Can you take a pic of the housing with the cover off?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have the boat in storage so I can't get a picture of it right now. If I remove the cover and try to tap the plug in deeper maybe use a small washer to displace it in, do you know of anyone where this worked? second option would be to remove the entire pump housing cover, drill out the plug and tap the hole and preplace it with a set screw and Loctite. this is alluded to in the other link you provided. do you know the size the set screw required? how is the housing sealed? would I expect it have been sealed with a glue like permatex? or a gasket of some type. I would like to know whether I am going to need to pry the housing off or whether (after removing the outer bolts) it should come off easily (gasket joint).
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Hi. Mike. This is not something I have tried as we can't do a repair like this and guarantee it. So we just replace the cover assembly. The only way to know the size is to remove the plug and measure it. I would use a loctite thread locker to reinstall the plug.

As for the removal you shouldn't have to pry to hard to remove it. There is a gasket. Here is a diagram of the cover kit.

Here is a link to the cover kit.