Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

When I push the throttle forward, the boat doesn't get past

Customer Question

when I push the throttle forward, the boat doesn't get past 5k rpm. I put new gas in, but still sputters out as well...sometimes
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: I put new spark plugs in and it seems to fire with no problem, the boat doesn't accelerate at full throttle. The boat only reaches 1/4 to 1/3 throttle and also sputters out. I thought it might be fuel filter, because it sat in my garage for a couple winters.
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: it starts fine, idles fine, just won't accelerate properly, can only get up to 8 to 10 miles per hour, and engine doesn't rev-up beyond a certain point.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

What is the make and model of the engine?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
hello anyone there
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Yes I am here. I need to know what engine you have.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
seadoo sportster le 2 cylinder
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Got it thanks. When was the last time that it made full power?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
last summer I was able to get to full speed, but it the engine would sometimes still stop, like it got flooded. only took the boat out once this summer and it had this acceleration issue
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Ok, the first thing to look at is the fuel in the boat, make sure that it has no water in it. If it is good, and since the engine has been sitting, I feel that the carbs are going to be gummed up. This will not allow the engine to get the fuel that it requires to get up to speed. The carbs will need to come off the engine, be totally taken apart, cleaned , including all jets. Then reassembled using all new rings and new needles. Attached, I have included a diagram of the carbs.

http://www.seadoopartshouse.com/oemparts/a/sea/500ce9b8f870021b3c6a7b5e/carburetors

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
if I pay someone to do this, what is a reasonable charge? I am studying the diagram and see 5-10 rings, but what are the 'needles'?
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Part 23 are the needles. A shop would charge at least 2 hrs of labor to do the carbs. Then you are looking at the parts as well.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are the o-rings needed to be replaced? But the gaskets do not need replacement? A few rings/o-rings have no price (parts 47,48, and 58). does it mean they would be easy to find locally? If I open the carburetor up and find the rings in good shape, can i leave them? Is there any cleaning solution that might work to wash out the 'gum'?
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

47 would not need to come out, 58 is part of the fuel pump kit, I cannot locate 48. There is not really any products that you could add to your fuel to washout the carbs. Since the jets are not flowing fuel now, any products would not get to them.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Charles, I found this kit on Amazon: http://amzn.to/2amHrzl do u think it is worth a try? i've got 3 kids and they cut my work hours, so i need to save as much as possible.
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Your engine is not listed.