Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

I have a 1983 90hsp Mercury Mariner, the engine won't shut

Customer Question

I have a 1983 90hsp Mercury Mariner, the engine won't shut of when I turn of the ignition key, I changed the ignition and cleaned all the grounds. The solenoid was changed last year.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

Would you please post the serial number of the engine?

Did you replace the key switch last year?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
boat is at mariner can"t get serial number right. right now, and I just changed the key switch two weeks ago. I didn't change it last year when I changed the solenoid. thought I put that in my guestion
Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

Locate the large cannon plug in the wiring harness that comes from the boat to the engine. Unplug it, then using a small knife or screwdriver, make sure that the pins on the boat side of the plug are slightly spread apart. This will allow them to make better contact. Then try the engine again. If it still will not shut off, ensure that all ground wires are connected on the engine to the main harness.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Didn't work, any other suggestions
Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

Using a multimeter test the resistance on the switch with the key off between the black and the black/yellow wires.