Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I have a 2003 75elpto mercury I bought used from a dealer a

Customer Question

I have a 2003 75elpto mercury I bought used from a dealer a month ago. I just took it out and it idles fine but when accelerating and on plane the motor stalls and dies, I've put new gas lines, fuel filter, new gas tank, new gas and checked for air leaks and it still does the same thing even does it when connected to a hose out of the water. What else could it be?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

Hi George, my name is Jason.

Have you tried pumping the primer bulb over and over to force fuel to the engine?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It didn't seem to help. I even
hit the choke while it was stalling and it seemed to help the issue but still having trouble.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

Is there a story or history to this engine. Have you ever personally seen it run correctly? How old is the fuel itself?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I purchased it used from a boat shop a month ago, no warranty. Dealer said the motor was fine and that the previous owner was using it on his boat a week before and he traded it in on a new bigger engine for his boat. Other than that I have no history of it. The dealer did run (idle) it at the dealership but didn't idle it up or give it full throttle. The fuel is 3 days old.