Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

2000 Sea Ray 290 sundancer twin 5.0l mpi witn bravo 2. Water

Customer Question

Hi! 2000 Sea Ray 290 sundancer twin 5.0l mpi witn bravo 2. Water is is comming in the bildge when i run it over 1200 rpm. Think its comming from the tramsom hose but i cant see. I know there is water there its wet....
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: No. Im a mechanic my self but in Honda cars over 25 years. so i can fix much of my things.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

I read what you wrote, what kinds of questions did you have?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi! 2000 Sea Ray 290 sundancer twin 5.0l mpi witn bravo 2. Water is is comming in the bildge when i run it over 1200 rpm. Think its comming from the tramsom flow raw water hose but i cant see. I know there is water there its wet...
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry my name is***** a mechanic my self on Honda car dealer for 25 years so i can fix a lot of things but in marine trouble shooting is different!
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

Hi Alain,

I read what you wrote but your not asking any kinds of questions. Did you have any questions for me or did you want me to start asking you questions?

Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

Can you tell me if the water was hot or cool to the touch?

When was the last time the bellows were changed on the boat?

Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

The website did charge you to speak with me, did you want/need help with this or are you all set?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Water was clear and cold, bellows dont know. I purchase the boat 2 years ago. I have check the bellows and they are soft and no cracks on them.
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

If it's cold water then the water that is leaking into the boat has not run through the engine yet. The problem is going to be either a bad universal or shift able bellow, or a bad/loose gimble housing to transom gasket.

The drive and gimbal housing will need to be removed to check and see if there is any water inside either bellow. If those do end up dry, then gimbal housing itself needs to be looked at to see if that gasket is bad.

Did you have any further questions on the issue?

Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

I don't know how you want to leave this but that is where you stand on your end and what needs to be checked. I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen, you might have to scroll up if you do not see it. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you

Jason

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok then. but there is a like a housing with two 3/8 bolt ( look a like a thermosthat housing ) on top of the transom drive assembly inside and the raw water hose runs there, and it seems like its leaking from there, is there and acces or some rubber gasket that we can change from the inside before removing the drive? Like i told you, if i run under 1200-1300 rpm no water comes in, so more rpm, more water flow from there no?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
im trying to find a picture of part
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If water comes in by the bollows, i should get water in even if the boat is not running after a week but thats not the case.
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

That is not necessarily true, especially on the ujoint bellow. The bellows can seal with the boat at idle but start to leak once they are vibrating, or once the trim angle changes.

Leaks can be hard to find. Can you tell at all where the water is coming from?