Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

I can't figure out what type of motor tilt/trim I have and

Customer Question

I can't figure out what type of motor tilt/trim I have and can't find the brand name online... Motor lifts up but slowly falls down.. Wondering if it may just need tilt trim fluid and what kind to use
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also it is a shinko tilt/trim however there are no drawings or anything of it so I can't figure out if maybe I just need fluid
Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

Most trim units of that time used ATF type 3 in them. Have you removed the plug to see if the fluid is red in color?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm not sure which is the plug for the drain and which is the fill.. I read a forum where a guy unscrewed the wrong screw and the whole thing came apart and couldn't figure out how to get it back together
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm hoping that's the reason my trim slowly falls down
Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

The plug is the one in the middle. It looks to have something stuck inside it. The one on the bottom is the manual release. Make sure that it is tight.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the middle one will be where I add the ATF type 3, make sure the manual release is tight and I should be good?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

Yes, if it still falls after this, I would replace the manual relief valve to see if there is an issue with one of thbe o-rings on it. If it continues to fall, the unit would need to be removed and rebuilt.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, I will check all of that out and give it a shot, am I able to get back with you in a day or so on here to let you know what happens? And also would it be difficult to get an o-ring for the manual relief valve on an older motor or it's pretty universal on the fit for all of them?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

You can get a manual relief valve at the site that I have linked here.