Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a yamaha1999two stroke 15 hp outboard which a

Customer Question

I have a yamaha1999two stroke 15 hp outboard which a mechanic was supposed to tune and replacethe throttle cable which had broken. When he returned it, it's top speed was substantially less than previously available.when I remove the cover and manually depress the throttle cable "spool"by hand I can achieve the same speeds as before. However this cannot be done with the throttle control at the tiller handle. He insists nothing was changed but there is obviously less travel and most importantly speed when the wick gets twisted. Can anyone help me on this?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Do you have the full model number from the engine?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not withme but I do have it. I am not at the motor location at the moment but was browsing the net And saw this site andyou know ow the rest
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Ok, this diagram that I have sent is like your engine. Wheat you need to do is to adjust the cables with the engine at neutral, to ensure that they are tight. then open the throttle and make sure that the WOT is set right. Some tweaking may be needed. The adjusting nest are located at part 1. There should be a nut of either side of the bracket for each cable.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Outboard/1999/15MLHX/CONTROL/parts.html

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Iam aware or the throttle and return cable and their adjustment. Kt seems tht they are not cpable of opening the throttle to full wot. Is it possible that there is alinkage involved that would open it to the same level that I can do manually
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When i look at the manual it is unclear if there is or not in one picture K thought it seemed so but in otherz I don't see anything
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Where rod 18 joins up to the carb, that is adjustable. But it also needs to be done at Neutral.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can I get back to you tomorrow When I am actually looking at the motor? I called on spur of the moment when I saw this site
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Sure thing. I log on early afternoon CST. then Im here the rest of the day.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks Charles I will do that and get back to you
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Sounds good. Talk to you then.