Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

OILINJECTED 50HP.aNY ADVANTAGE TO CONVERTING TO MIXED FUEL?

Customer Question

JOHNSON OILINJECTED 50HP.aNY ADVANTAGE TO CONVERTING TO MIXED FUEL?
bIG JOB? OR?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

There are no advantages to mixing the fuel. Actually mixing the oil and gas will cause engine issues. The engine running at idle doesn't need a mix of 50:1 so the excess oil causes carbon build up on the rings which can stick and cause cylinder and piston failure. The only time the engine needs 50:1 is at full throttle.

So you are better off with the oil injection this is the reason all manufacturers went to oil injection.

What kind of issues are you having?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
None. Heard comments of oil failure. Just curious as to this being an oddball problem.
Manual recommends putting tape marker on oil tank to alert of unusual usage (+ or -) Thanks for response
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

The VRO pump has a no oil warning if it quits pumping oil. The oil tank also has a low oil alarm. The VRO pumps are good pumps. Most failures are over oiling which isn't the fault of the VRO it is an air leak on the fuel pump side of the VRO pump causing the pump to cycle faster causing over oiling.

So no oil warning is 1/2 on 1/2 second off repeating. Low oil warning is the alarm sounding about every 30 seconds on then off.

Post back if have further questions on this oiling system.

Please don't forget to positively rate my help as that is the only way I get credit for helping you. To rate click on the stars at the top of the page 3 or more please.

Thank you...Tan

Follow up questions are always welcome.

Here is a direct link to me for future issues.http://www.justanswer.com/boat/expert-suntan/