Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I have a 2000 model of a 115. I have had for 16 years and

Customer Question

I have a 2000 model of a Johnson 115. I have had for 16 years and use it every year for fishing (trolling). I have always been able to run it at 900 RPM, and it would run smoothly.
This year it started running rough at that RPM and quitting on me when I put it in gear.
It idles fine, but when put under load it quits.
Last time out it went through excessive amount of oil. Oil pump has been checked and found fine. My marine shop cannot find problem. Any ideas.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Have you had the spark and compression checked on the engine?

These are the first things we test.

Over oiling is caused by the fuel oil system sucking air on the fuel side. This causes the VRO pump to cycle faster causing over oiling. Loose fuel lines or old hard fuel lines will cause an air leak. The VRO pump if tested will test as good.

This is the only thing that will cause over oiling.