Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

Sat in driveway for 4 years. Tried to start today. Can hear

Customer Question

sat in driveway for 4 years. Tried to start today. Can hear the battery power hit the starter, but won't turn over. Wondering if it's frozen up or rusted up inside.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: 4.3/V6 Alpha One
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: it ran good 4 years ago, before I let it sit outside without starting it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

How was the engine prepped before it was stored?

Does it freeze where you live?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well, I took the carburator off it to rebuild it, but never got around to it. The water was drained from the block, but other than the carburator hole being covered, nothing else was done. It sat for about 3-4 years. I did crank it about a year ago and it did turn over, but I did not try to get it started. I live in Dallas, so we don't get much freezing here.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

Ok, remove the plugs and try to crank it again. This will take most of the resistance from the engine. Also look at the oil, see if the level has risen.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok, if it has, does that mean that i have water in the block?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
or a crack in the block?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

Yes on both accounts. The center head on these engines, really its the intake manifold, is also water cooled, antifreeze needs to be added there to prevent it from freezing.