Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

I broke the safety lanyard off my 2003 Sead Doo Utopia when

Customer Question

I broke the safety lanyard off my 2003 Sead Doo Utopia when I was removing and lubricating the throttle. I bought a new lanyard from the dealer with the correct part number (it does not have a chip) but the engine will not crank. There is a chance that the throttle was not put back in neutral. I am guessing that perhaps I broke the kill switch on the console or that the neutral safety switch is not working. Not sure which parts to buy or if there is an ignition sequence to reset the switch(s)
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Battery is good.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

The issue is most likely going to be the throttle is not back in Neutral. Move the handle while holding the key in the start position, when the engine cranks, that is neutral, reposition your handle to there. If it will not crank after trying this, one of the wires has come off the control box and the circuit is not complete.