Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

I have a 92 caravel boat w/ 140 OMC cobra drive. A shaved

Customer Question

I have a 92 caravel boat w/ 140 OMC cobra drive . A shaved exhaust bellows was installed before I bought the boat. Would I be able to replace it with a unshaven bellows? I read other post that said exhaust/ vacuum issues, are they referring to water drainage issues? What would happen if I used a solid one? Please explain to me everything
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

The exhaust bellows is just a way to divert the exhaust out through the hub of the prop. The reason they have holes in them is to relieve exhaust pressure and drain the water in the exhaust. You can use a solid hose and it will not cause any issues.

It does have to be a collapsible hose as the drive trims up and down and the hose has to extend.

The exhaust bellows has nothing to do with water ingestion it to the motor. This only occurs if you have a failing riser or you back down in reverse real hard and have a bad shutter in the exhaust pipe just below the riser.

Post back with questions.