TIMOTO
TIMOTO, Mechanic
Experience:  Former Kawasaki pwc tech. current Honda pwc tech.
8313095

It's actually a jetski. Getting water in oil, but only

Customer Question

It's actually a jetski. Getting water in oil, but only appears to happen in choppy conditions. 2003 aquatrax. Happened last month, changed oil 3x and got clean. 2.5hrs ride time on calm water with no issues, spent 30 minutes today in heavy chop, as well as got "salad" in the impeller for a minute, and pulled up to beach, shut down as normal. Wouldn't restart, oil level was up and milky
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: New plugs after towed in, no difference. Draining oil now
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We changed front cover gasket, inspected intercooler and replaced the O rings last time it did this. Replaced both oil sensors as well. Have had 0 issues until today. Turbo is spinning freely, not sure how to test waste gate. No warning lights or buzzer going off. Turns over fine. I'm clueless
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Turns over, but won't fire. Has good spark as well.
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 3 months ago.

Can you hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds when first installing the lanyard?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I changed oil and it's starting now. Just need to know how water getting in oil.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I think the oil sensors may have killed it until I got the right weight and level. It was very high level and thin milky. Git that crap out...filled 4qts 10/40 she fired right up
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 3 months ago.

As you know the problem is usually caused by leaking o rings on the oil cooler in the front cover. If the o rings are good then closely inspect the cooler for a crack. I have seen this a couple of times.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We did both last time. It has to have something to do with rough water or water in hull. No issues on smooth water.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's not the normal oil cooler, O rings or manifold.....those all check out and would be constant.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The skirt seals weren't tight so it took on some water. It had a crap air filter. Is it possible turbo is pulling in moisture from the wet hull into cylinders? The hull stay dry in smooth water. About only logical thing I come up with
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 3 months ago.

There would have to be an awful lot of water inside the hull for it to draw water into the intake. If the model you have uses the paper air filter mounted in the front of the engine then that would be more likely. In that case check all of the clamps on the rubber hose connections for the plastic air tube. That tube also has a water drain on the bottom of it with a clear plastic hose that ends near the driveshaft. Check the hose is secure on the tube and that the plug on the end of the hose is in place. It would also be a good idea to check the strainer on the end of the suction hose under the driveshaft coupler to verify that it is not clogged with trash.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Where is it located at front of motor, I didn't see anything. I'm normally a 2 stroke guy.... ALOT easier lol
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Mines a 2003 f12x. It's the turbo
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 3 months ago.

The f12x uses a high mounted air box at the rear of the engine. Here is a link to a parts diagram:

http://fiche.worldofpowersports.com/wps/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=hondapwc&a=5&b=31&c=0&d=-AIR-CLEANER

This design is much less likely to get water into the intake. Also, if there was water being drawn into the intake then you should have seen it on the sparkplugs and it should have shot out of the sparkplug holes when you cranked the engine to check for spark.

Expert:  TIMOTO replied 3 months ago.

So, if the water is not coming from the air intake then the oil cooler is the most likely source of the problem.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Bit the cooler would be consistent, this is not ����
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 3 months ago.

I do not have any other suggestions for you. I will opt out.