Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

Got 1979 searay 260 with brandnew 350 chevy engine all

Customer Question

got 1979 searay 260 with brandnew 350 chevy engine all electric works except starter starter checked good new selinoid turn key does nothing on or off engine
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Could I get the engine serial number please?

Do you have a volt meter to do some voltage tests?

Which start solenoid did you replace. The engine has 2.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
have voltage meter starter getting 14volts slave selinoid was changed starter is not on engine just hooked up to electrical system the engine is remanufactured 1980 just put it in
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Ok we need to test for voltage on the yellow wire on the slave solenoid when key is in crank position. Do you have voltage?

We also need to check voltage on the slave solenoid large terminals with key in crank position.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will have to wait till friday when I get paid to call don't have it this week but i will get back with you i did test yellow wire i think no power to it but main terminals had power
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Ok if you have no voltage to the yellow wire then we need to test at the key switch yellow wire with key in crank position. Do you have voltage. A test you can do to be sure the engine is working is apply voltage to the small yellow wire on slave solenoid. The engine should crank.

Post back when you get the chance to do the tests. Talk to you Friday.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok thankyou talk at you friday maybe i can salvage laborday will try test an get back with you friday
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Your welcome sounds good.