Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

Tan; Tried to raise my motor today on a Evinrude 115. It

Customer Question

Hi Tan;
Tried to raise my motor today on a Evinrude 115. It wont raise. oil stain on floor below motor. I know nothing about the hydraulics on the trim unit, any ideAS?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Tom.

Do you hear the trim motor running? If yes follow procedure below.

We need to raise the motor to check the fluid level. On the stbd side of the trim unit is the manual relief screw # 66. There is a hole in the engine mount bracket towards the bottom with a slotted screw that is the manual relief valve.

Open the manual relief screw 3-4 turns CCW. Then lift the motor flip trailing latch down. Now check the fluid level in the trim reservoir.

Facing the trim unit from behind the motor is the reservoir # 63 and the fill plug # 30. Remove the plug and fill with Dexron ATF till fluid runs out the hole. Now be sure manual relief screw is tight. Now raise the engine flip lever now run the motor up and down a couple of times. Check fluid level. Look for leaks around the rams.

If no sound post back and we can find the problem.