Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

Major water in fuel system. Engine stopped running. Took off

Customer Question

Major water in fuel system. Engine stopped running. Took off fuel filter and hand pumped fuel until dry. Reinstalled fuel filter but engine will not start. Afraid water is in fuel pump and cylinders. Was thinking of using fuel aerosol to try to get engine restarted but can't find air intake.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is a 2009 Mercury 50 hp 4 cylinder outboard engine model # 1-A51453KZ.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My phone number is(###) ###-####
Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

You are also going to need to urge the fuel system on the engine. Starting with the low pressure filter, remove it, pump the bulb while catching the fuel until you get clear fuel there. Replace the filter. Then open the drain on the VST, allow it to drain, pump the bulb until you get good fuel from there. Close the drain. Remove the number 4 fuel injector from the fuel pipe. Turn the key on and catch the fuel that is coming from the hose. Repeat until you get good clean fuel. Then you can start the engine.