Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

1993 175 hp -60degree v6--rebuilt power head with no hours

Customer Question

1993 Johnson 175 hp -60degree v6--rebuilt power head with no hours on it yet because I can not stop the starboard side lowest carburetor from leaking on the inside and running out the front . I have rebuilt carb completely even a new car body, still leaks . float works properly I'm at a loss, maybe its the throttle body ? It only leaks when its running that should tell me something but what I don't know .
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Have you checked the fuel pressure going into the carb yet?

Is the float bowl plastic or metal?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
like i said i replaced all carbuetor parts including the main body and new float bowl and float bowls are plastic
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Check the fuel pressure going into the carb and let me know what it reads.

Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Hi Glen. I''m sorry I don't have time to get into a phone call. Are you able to check fuel pressure or no?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

If you place your and over the front of the carb and crank the engine over, can you feel positive suction against your hand or do you feel any pressure?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
good suction-new power head
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it is only this one carb
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

In order to solve this a fuel pressure gauge is going to need to be set up just before the carb in order to see if pressure jumps above 7 psi or not. If it does, there is a problem with the fuel pump/vro. if it does't, the problem is in the carb. How did you set the floats specifically?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
by the book perfectly and the valve shuts off the gas when you prime with bulb pump i thought the carb body had a internal crack so i replaced carb body and the same thing happens also there is only one fuel line that goes to each side of motor that supplies fuel to all three carbs if fuel pressure was to high wouldn't they all show signs of leaking ? not just this one?but all 6 carbs
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

if fuel pressure was to high wouldn't they all show signs of leaking ?

No, not necessarily, especially if fuel pressure is just teetering at 7 psi. It needs to be checked either way.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
is there a special tool for this because the fuel pump only works when motor is running cant run the motor with interrupted fuel supply , something that goes in between line so fuel completes its flow
Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

All that's needed is a plastic T fiting.

Expert:  Jason replied 8 months ago.

Hello, just checking in. Any progress?