Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a Ocean Runner 175, 1996. It was running fine, just

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Johnson Ocean Runner 175, 1996. It was running fine, just serviced about 2 weeks ago. Yesterday after a 1 hour run at 4000 RPMs as I came off the plane throttling down, as I hit the trim switch to lower the motor, the engine died. As soon as I let off the trim switch it started back up. Throttled down completely and the engine died and wouldn't restart. When I turn the ignition to start, the engine actually fired and as long as I keep the key at the start position it will respond to throttle. If I put the key in run, it dies. I suspect the stator or powerpack are not supplying power and suspect the battery is supplying power when in the start ignition position. I just bought 2 new batteries as part of the service, and both are charged nightly. Any ideas appreciated. Thx GH
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: Actually it a twin engine boat, and the other (port side engine is running fine :)
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Do you have the model number on the engine handy?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
1996 Johnson J175EXEDB 175hp Outboard Motor
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Got it. Do you have a hand held volt meter ad do you know how to take voltage measurments?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I do
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
btw, I swapped the ignition switches from port to starboard engines and the problem followed the engine
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Measure the voltage at the starter solenoid with the engine cranking over and let me know what it reads.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Jason,Ok,here are some measurements:Battery Selector in Off Position:
Portside Battery at Terminals: 12.9 V
Starboard :12.7VBattery Selector in Both position:
Starboard (problem Engine): Key in Run position, starter solenoid 12.7 V engine not running
Starboard Engine Cranking :starter solenoid 10.1 V no startI Started the Port Engine (good engine) and idled @ 1000 RPMS to see what the voltage would go up to with one engine runningStarboard engine key in run position, voltage at starter solenoid 13.7 V engine not running
Starboard engine key in start position cranking, voltage dropped to 9.5 V and engine started (key still in start) came back up to 13.7 V
Starboard engine key back to run, engine stopped running, starter solenoid 13.7 volts.I did not charge the batteries last night, so I suspect the starboard voltage battery is lower because of testing and trying to start the motor yesterday once we got back.But the starboard engine dies as soon as you release the key from the start position back to run. I also typically start the port engine first and start the starboard engine once it is running.Thanks,
George Hibler