Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

70 hp running the boat at full throttle ran great around the

Customer Question

70 hp running the boat at full throttle ran great around the lake a couple times then all of a sudden I slowed down to go into marina and then all of a sudden it started running rough now it will not go to wide-open throttle it bogs down it idles a little rough but it stays running
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: I slowed down to go into marina and then all of a sudden it started running rough now it will not go to wide-open throttle it bogs down it idles a little rough but it stays running
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 4 months ago.

We need to look at a few things.

First check the fuel filter for any water. It will be separated on the bottom.

Next lets do a compression test, just to rule out a physical problem internally.

Then we want to do a spark test. Get a spark tester at an auto parts store if you don't have one. Crank the engine and see if you have a good spark.

When you do post back your results and we'll go from there with further tests and repairs.

Also get me the complete model number of the engine.

Thanks