Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

Have discovered a petrol leak on left side of outboard, have

Customer Question

have discovered a petrol leak on left side of outboard
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: have 225 vindicator, normally runs beautifully, when put on tilt this morn noticed petol dripping from cowling
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: that's it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
mobile(###) ###-####
Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

What is the full model number of your engine?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
just checking
Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

thanks, ***** ***** left side of the engine is the fuel pump. Remove the top cowling and then pump the primer bulb. See if you can identify where the fuel is coming out. It will be either a hose or from the carb bodies. You may want to remove the outer cover from the air box to see inside the carbs.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
tiny pin hole in return valve visible
would that create free running leak
worse on tilt, just drips when level
Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

any chance that you can get a pic of that. I could then tell you which part needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
have no camera function on hubbies work-phone and I don't possess a mobile at all
Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
will try to get a photo
Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

i sent you a link to the fuel pump and hoses.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Charles, finally got some pics for you. Hubby says the leak is coming from a round black housing that has two wires coming from it (is it return valve?). Anyway, I hope this is helpful,
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hubby has looked and says it is from the vacuum switch. The engine is a 225 with model numbers E225STLETS and serial number G 03235298
Can we tell if it is an 'O' ring or the switch which is leaking?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it looks like we need a new switch.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

that helps greatly. Look at the diagram I sent, there is a hose, #5 that leads to the switch. The switch also has an o-ring on the back of it, part # 22. It would be really rare for the switch to be broken.