Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Starter on my 97 v6 mercruiser went had it rebuilt guy at

Customer Question

Starter on my 97 v6 mercruiser went had it rebuilt guy at shop says i probley
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: 97 mercruiser v6 starter went guy at shop says i might have other issues exhaust baffles could be letting water in engine when that happens there is no compresion and that could strip starter parts
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: engine was running fine but stalled out a few times out on the water before stater went
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

I read what I wrote but I don't see any kinds of questions from you. How is it I can be of help to you?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
what caused problem was it exhaust baffles or something else
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi im joe i still have not recieved a responce to what the problem might be and what to do next
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Hi Joe,

I still don't understand your issue. You wrote "
Customer: 97 mercruiser v6 starter went guy at shop says i might have other issues exhaust baffles could be letting water in engine when that happens there is no compresion and that could strip starter parts"

What exactly is going on? Do you have cylinders with no compression? Is there water in 1 cylinder, a bank of cylinders, or all cylindes?

Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Are you still with me Joe?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
`boat was stalling out before starter went bad boat would start then after driving fine for a few minutes it would stall engine.was running fine then the starter would make high pitched sound
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The guy who rebuilt the starter says its probably just going to strip the starter again unless i fix other issue he says its probably exhaust baffles or intake how do i determine the problem
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

The starter has nothing to do with the engine stalling

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i could have told you that what caused the problem
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
forget it
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

If the shutters are bad and you slow down fairly quick water will go up the exhaust riser and go in to the cylinders. Then when you go to start the engine it can't compress the water in the cylinders and strips the starter.

The stalling can be many things. Loss of spark or fuel starvation.

When the engine stalled this could be when the water entered the cylinders.

Have you determined if you have water in the cylinders yest? Does engine start and run now?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
engine starts have not determined if there is water in cyl how would i do that
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Remove the spark plugs and check for water on the spark plugs they will be either wet or rusty. If you do have signs of water crank engine over with all spark plugs removed.

Do you see signs of water?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I dont want to start the boat in the water or i run the risk of stripping the starter again , have not checked plugs yet i am not with the boat now have to work on it saturday
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Ok the only thing that would strip the starter is water in the cylinders. What happens is the engine hydro locks and when the starter engages it has so much power that it strips the gears. So you have to check for water to verify you don't have any in the cylinders. Once you have the spark plugs out you can spin the engine over to blow the water out of the cylinders. Now is this fresh or salt water?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
fresh
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Ok if it were salt water I would say you need to get the water out of the engine immediately. Salt water would cause the cylinders to corrode very fast and seize the engine. Fresh water isn't as corrosive as salt.

Keep me posted to your findings. I will be here tomorrow. I start at 8 am PST.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
can you tell me if it was bad baffles
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Tan how would i get in touch with you
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

That I cannot till you remove the riser and inspect the shutters/baffles. We don't know for a fact that water is even in the engine. We are basing all this info on what the starter repair man said. I didn't see the starter and don't know the history of what happened to the engine except it stalled.

To get in touch with me just post back as you have been.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thank you
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Your welcome...