Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Stuck in gear can't move shift stick, Was going forward then

Customer Question

Stuck in gear can't move shift stick
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Was going forward then went into reverse that worked so I went back into forward and couldn't just stayed in reverse
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: No
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Could I get the make, model and serial number of your engine please? I also need the model of drive if this is a sterndrive boat?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Serial #5319559
make n model
470 mercCruiser
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Locate the shift bracket at the back of the motor. Watch both cable they should both move when you shift. Do they move or does the control not move at all?

This is what you shift bracket will look like.http://f01.justanswer.com/dylan0627/2009-07-03_153827_boat_control.JPG

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
You can wiggle them but they dont mive fully
Expert:  Tan replied 5 months ago.

Ok disconnect the cable at the shift bracket coming from the control then see if it will shift. In the pic I posted the top cable is the control cable.