Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Have an 87 formula with sbcs and alpha 1 drives, counter

Customer Question

Hi Charles. Have an 87 formula with sbcs and alpha 1 drives, counter rotating props. Damaged r/s drive with sandy, hit tree and ripped outdrive. replaced mount and gimble housing. New lines and hoses. Problem can't get water to motor with it running. Have tryed muffs on drive housing no water. Tapped water hole in gimble for direct flow, have this. I have replaced upper and lower assemblies. The upper unit has 1.50 with an "R" on it. I am thinking this is the reason for the pump to not pull and water. I have replaced pumps on 2 different housing, upper and lower and same problem with no flow. I have both Merc shop manuals. Both SBC's spin the same way. The rotation is done in the lower unit?? REbuilt unit and put in bay. Prop spins right way but no water to motor. I have flush the hoses until I am silly. I tryed the in stall the water pump impellors both ways and they redirect themselves. Possible wrong drive?? Rick L.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Since you have replaced the impeller already, I would lean toward the key in not aligned in the pump housing, or the water tube is not installed correctly. Either way, the lower part of the drive needs to come back off and be inspected. There should be an extension on the top of the water pump housing to get the water to the upper drive and then into the engine.