Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Came home after a month to find both boat batteries weak.

Customer Question

Came home after a month to find both boat batteries weak. They could dimly light the LED but not start the outboard. I bought a jumper kit, but apparently it was undersized. The outboard would slowly turn over but not start. So today I pulled one of the batteries out to charge it off my truck. Then brought it back to boat. Now the outboard makes no sound at all. The LED is bright so the battery seems recharged but the motor does nothing. It's as if the kill switch were activated or the boat in gear, but neither.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Hello Michael. My name is Tan.

Have you checked the fuse on the engine? Does the trim work?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The trim does not work.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Would the fuse be under the console with all the rest of them?
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

No the fuse will be under the engine cover. Could I get the engine model number please?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Yamaha saltwater series ox66 v6 200
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok. I can't check right now but assuming that's the issue, where can I find a replacement? West Marine?
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Yamaha dealer. The replacement part of the fuse is # 18. Here is a link to that part. You can use the part number to locate a fuse in your area. This is going to be a Yamaha only part.

http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=YAM61A-82151-00-00

These are the main fuses. There should be a spare in with the fuses.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The fuse looks fine as far as I can tell. I swapped it with the spare anyhow, but the motor is quiet. Nothing at all when I turn the key.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Originally it seemed like a battery problem because the engine turned over but wouldn't catch. But since the trim won't budge, it seems like something else. Thx.
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

When you turn the key on do the gauges come on? Are you sure both battery cables are connected to the battery. Sometime the ground can get missed.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Gauges come on. All the cables seems connected though I will keep checking. The one thing that kills the gauges is the switch for the bilge pump. Any chance I have a short in there?
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

That is a sign of a bad ground somewhere in the battery wiring check all the grounds are connected and clean on the batteries.

When you turn the key switch to crank engine do all the gauges go off?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Ok you need to check all the battery cable connections you are loosing voltage due to a bad or correded connection. Do you have a battery switch?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
All the connections are pretty dirty
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Ok this might be where the problem is. Remove the switch and connect the common to the battery you just replaced. That will be removing the cable from common going to the engine then connecting it to either batt #1 post or 2 post on the batt switch.

Now check the engine see if trim works and engine cranks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Will do. Thx.
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Your welcome..Keep me posted. Thank you.Tan