Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.

I'm thinking about installing steering to a new 9.9 auto

Customer Question

I'm thinking about installing steering to a new 9.9 auto start Merc (Pontoon boat). Is theat difficult and possible ?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

When you stay install steering what do you mean by that? Is the engine tiller control, and are you looking to change that to remote steering, or did you mean something else?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Might be stupid ? But it has tiller steering and plan to install on pontoon boat with steering wheel
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

That's easy enough to do. What kinds of questions did you have?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Only wanted be be certain a tiller type would accomadates conversion.
Are parts on boat I purchase and does Merc have connections to accomplish this
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

What you would need is a steering kit, rack and pinion would be the cheapest, click his link -

You would also need a steering wheel, personally I like round wheels in boats, but there are literally thousands of styles to choose from. Click this link, this is an example -

Lastly you might needs what is called a steering attachment kit for the outboard. This you would get through mercury. If you would like me to look this up for you I would need the serial number on your engine.

After that it's as simple as removing the tiller, and then go on to install the remote steering.

Did you have any further questions on the issue?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you serious, recommending a round steering wheel ?
I'm out
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Yes absolutely. There are 2 basic different types of steering wheels. Round wheels and what they call a sport type wheel. Click this link, this is a sport type wheel.

The reason I recommend the round style is because all boats have drift to them when you drive them. When you have a sport style wheel, what everybody does (and I've been doing this for 20 years) is they hold the wheel straight, and then complain when the boat doesn't drive in a straight line, and they feel that the boats steering has some sort of alignment issue when it really doesn't, and the real problem is the boat is drifting. Depending on water and wind conditions sometimes you have to take what would be 12 oclock on a sport wheel, and have the wheel turned by 20 or 30 degrees, or more, just to have the boat hold a straight line. If you have never witnessed this before I can guarantee you it will drive you crazy. It's a physcological thing because 99% of boaters who are non-professionals (not mechanics or captains) always compare boat steering to car steering, when they are in fact not the same. If you get a round wheel instead of sport wheel, then you will never have to worry about which way the wheel is pointing when trying to hold the boat in a straight line. When you do a sport wheel, you (and everybody else) will always think there is some sort of steering alignment issue because the boat isn't going in the same direction that you are turning the wheel in, when really it's just that you are fighting wind and water currents, which isn't something you ever deal with in a car. Does that make sense.

Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Was there anything else?

Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you