Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Volvo 22 l- marine....starts well, powers up good when

Customer Question

Volvo 22 l-b marine....starts well, powers up good when gearbox is not connected. but when gearbox connected the revs increase from 700 to 900 but no more. However sometimes it all works as expected. I cannot understand why sometimes I am not able to increase more than 900 revs and other times I can go normally to 2000 revs (my maximum operating range). nobody seems to know why, even the local vilve agent.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Hi Brian, my name is Jason.

What is the history on this engine, have you ever personally seen it run correctly?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Jason
The engine has been well maintained. It has given years and years of reliable service. The problem started about 10 days ago. Have checked fuel, air intake, throttle controls, but all test well. Half the time in the last ten days the engine has worked normally. But sometimes when you power up revs just increase by 200. Sometimes it recovers after 20 seconds and goes to normal power, but other times it stays low. And sometimes it just is normal. Engine is used at least once a week, and often of several hours per use.
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

How intermittent is the issue?

When the engine will not power up, is there smoke of any color coming from the exhaust?