Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified

Volvo 4.3 gxi idles way to high. Ran good all day. Turned

Customer Question

Volvo 4.3 gxi idles way to high.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Ran good all day. Turned off the engine for a short time. Restarted now idles very high.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: Nope
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

The only thing that controls the idle on this motor is the IAC (idle air control) if it has failed the engine will not idle properly. Lets do this first. Go to the throttle body and disconnect the throttle cable. Does the engine idle down? If no change remove the flame arrestor and with a rag start cover the opening of the throttle does engine slow down when you restrict air flow?