Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Need to get the bottom off an E30ECDM motor to replace the

Customer Question

Need to get the bottom off an E30ECDM motor to replace the water pump. There is no screw to release the shift rod. Do I have to remove the whole lower unit?
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: I have removed the bolts around the bottom and have a have inch gap. I was expecting to find a screw to release the shift rod. There is none and I can't drop the lower unit and get to the water unit. Do I have to take the whole lower unit of to release the shift rod and drop the lower unit?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Remove the water pick ups. There you will see the connector for the shift rod. Loosen the two nuts apart, the remove the collar, part 73 in the diagram. This will allow you to drop the gear case to replace the water pump.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/1998/E30EECS/GEARCASE/parts.html