Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

My 1967 65 hp Mercury outboard turns over but won't start. I

Customer Question

My 1967 65 hp Mercury outboard turns over but won't start. I left the battery cables attached for about 7 months and when I took it out of storage the neg terminal had melted away. While trying to start it, I accidently left the key in the start position and smelled what seemed like burning wire, the negative wire to the new battery was very hot... where should I start... new spark plugs installed...
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Start by making sure that the ground cable is actually going to ground and not positive, and that all of the connections are tight. With the ground getting hot the engine may need to have a compression test done to make sure that it is not binding up..

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thank you, ***** ***** try that in the morning... It's been a long crummy day at the office...
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Lol, no worries. There are no time limits here. I hope that you have a better eve.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thanks, ***** ***** a 1959 46' Richardson that I might need some help with as well...
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

May not be much help on that one, but I could try.