Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

CONNECTICUT. I HAVE A MSK150 THAT I CONVERTED TO A 1200

Customer Question

HELLO, MY NAME IS***** I HAVE A MSK150 THAT I CONVERTED TO A 1200 MARINE 2 STROKE. RAN OK LAST YEAR UNTIL I SCORED 2 CYLINDERS. FIXED THAT. NOW THE ENGINE WILL START ON THE TRAILER, BUT ONCE IT IS IN THE WATER, IT GIVES ME PROBLEMS STATING. IF I PULL THE MIDDLE PLUG OUT ,IT STARTS AND RUNS. PUT THE PLUG BAKE IN AND SOMETIMES IT WILL START, OTHER TIMES IT WONT. PUT IN A NEW 200 CCA TRACTOR BATTERY. ILL CHARGE IT UP BEFORE I GO OUT. UP TO 14.4 VOLTS. I WAS TODL TO DO SOME AMP / DRAW DOWN TESTS, TO SEE IF THE STARTER IS THE PROBLEM. ANY IDEAS, AS I FED UP RIGHT NOW. SEASON ALMOST OVER HERE. THANKS.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: ALL 3 CYLINDERS HAVE 130-140 LBS ON MY COMPRESSION TESTS. THE ENGINE WAS OBTAINED FROM RANDY AT THE FORMER WATCOM IN WASHINGTON STATE. VERN SCHNELKER BUILT THE ENGINE. NEW STATOR AND HE WENT THRU THE CDI BOX. IT WAS GOOD LAST YEAR, BUT SOME TIMES IT WOULD NOT START. I HAD INSTALLED ANOTHER BATTERY IN THE FRONT COMPARTMENT, BUT TOOK IT OUT THIS JULY. JUST WENT TO THE SINGLE UNIT.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

I have a few questions back for you.

What is an MSK 150? I cannot locate one anywhere.

What brand is the donor engine?

Is the starter from the old engine or the new?