Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 2005 Sea-Ray 240 Sundeck, when shifting into

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Sea-Ray 240 Sundeck, when shifting into forward (or reverse) there is a delay in actually moving into gear, 5 to 7 seconds, and if move throttle forward, it revs rpm's up and then it kicks into gear with a bang. The local marina mechanic adjusted the throttle cable - but did not solve the issue-- said they need to get into the drive and see if maybe the clutch?
any thoughts?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Hello Keith. My name is Tan.

How are you shifting the drive? Are you shifting quickly or easing into gear?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
easing - holding the transition button in- and it goes into gear but boat not moving when in gear until delay
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

You have to pop these drives into gear. If you ease into gear it will hesitate and some times stall. There is plenty of room in the lever before it gives the engine throttle.

This drive is moving metal parts together so you have to pop it in gear. There is no clutch in the drive.

In this diagram the red arrow is the shifter the blue arrow is the forward gear. These 2 components have to mesh together. Easing into gear causes problems with the interrupt switch making engine stall.

Does this make sense?