Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Jason. I have a 2012 Meridian 341 with 8.2 HO's. Recently I

Customer Question

Hi Jason. I have a 2012 Meridian 341 with 8.2 HO's. Recently I have been getting smartcraft codes like Engine/Shift fuel system and the boat has been stalling on the stb engine. Recent time boat was going at 2400 rpms for 10 minutes. Engine stalled. Temp 163 oil 69 water 14. There is so a clickety noise coming from stbd tranny. Thoughts? Thanks John
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

To figure out what the engine is doing with out a computer hooked to it, I am going to need to know the exact wording that the gauge is showing you when the alarm goes off. Also any code numbers that it may show. With that, I can tell you what is wrong with the engine and how to fix it.

I'm looking forward to your reply.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The only active alarm on the stbd engine on the smart craft is Engine/Shift Fuel System then O2 sensor not working properly. The last two times the stbd engine stalled the guardian did not activate. Just stalled.
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

On the fuel code, is it saying timed out, or just a fault? If you press the mode button, does it show more info on it?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Charles, I believe just the fault in the active alarm. When I press the check mark for more information it gives the O2 sensor not working properly. The tranny on that side is chattering quite a bit when in gear only. Can a failing tranny cause it to stall out? It is a 2012 and tranny fluids appeared clean and did not have a burnt smell.
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

If the tranny was locking up, that would cause the engine to stall and it would then throw a shift code as the engine is off and in gear. A shift code also means that the actuator is having a hard time shifting gears.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Another piece. On the vessel view screen that shows peak performance it has port rpms 50 Speed 90 mph and stbd rpms 0.
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

That after the engine stalls or while it is running?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That one just stays there. I will be on the boat today and take a closer look at the codes. Question, if the transmission locks up would it put the boat into Guardian mode? Have a critical code?
Expert:  Charles replied 3 months ago.

If the tranny was to lock up, the engine would stall due to not being able to turn it, that or it would blow the coupling between the engine and the tranny. The tranny oil would also be very burnt.