Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.

How do you get water out of the engine? Let me explain the

Customer Question

How do you get water out of the engine? Let me explain the boat almost sank and water got into the boat and then the engine they weren't ever fully under the water. This happen when something shot up in the air from the back of the boat and water then shot up behind that. It's a 1999 Yamaha exciter 270
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

When did the engine ingest water?

Was it running?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
About a week ago and yes it was running
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Its been sitting with the water in it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
we have been trying to figure out how to get the water out
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Ok, drain the oil from the engine. Fill with new oil, remove the spark plugs and then crank the engine over to get the water out of the cylinders. Replace the plugs, then try and start the engine. Allow it to warm up, stop it and drain the oil again. You will also need several oil filters. After draining it this time. Use diesel fuel, and fill the crankcase to operating level. Start the engine for a few minutes. Do not rev it up. Stop the engine and drain the diesel out of it. Add fresh oil once again. Run the engine to get it up to temp again. Stop it and drain that oil, to remove any of the left over diesel from the crankcase. Add fresh oil again. Run the engine for a bit. Stop the engine and check the oil for water. It should be clear now.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I blew a drain cleanout plug and water got all threw the boat. I ha e Biden trying for days to get it out. I pulled tube spark plugs and got most of the water out
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How do I drain the oil from the engine now?
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Is yours the two or four stroke engine.

Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

I wrote the earlier for a four stroke engine. On a two stroke, you can dump the remove oil tank, disconnect and blow out all of the oil lines on the engine. Replace the small filters, refill the tank, and them bleed the oil pump. If you have already removed the plugs and cranked the engine over to remove the water from the cylinders, and make sure that there is no water in the fuel or the carbs, start the engine and allow it to warm up. This will boil the water from the block and get it all out.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is a 2 stroke and has 2 engines
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry I really don't no ANYTHING about boats. Where is the oil pump?Also should I connect the hose to the engine while its running, or do I want the engine to get hot to book the water out?
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Front of the engine.

Yes for water. Start the engine, then turn the water on. Leave it on as long as the engine is running. Turn the water off, before stopping the engine. Have to treat these engines just like a jet ski.